To make one cup of Masala Chai:
- Water x 1.5 cups
- Fennel seeds x 1 tablespoon
- Cloves x 3-4
- Carom seeds x 1 tablespoon
- Cardamom pods (green) x3
- Cardamom pods (black) x2
- Cinnamon stick x 1 (you will break it up)
- Orange pekoe tea bag x 1
- Sugar (I prefer cane sugar) x your preference
- Milk x 1/2 cup
- Metal pot (I use one like this - I like the measurement lines)
- Mortar and pestle (I've used wooden, steel, and marble ones. They all work well)
1. In your mortar and pestle, crush the fennel seeds, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and carom seeds.
2. Add the crushed spices to your pot of water, and let it come to a boil.
3. Let water boil for an additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in sugar, tea bag, and milk to the boiling water.
5. Let the tea come to a boil once more with the added ingredients. Remove from the stove top before it boils over.
6. Strain out the ingredients while pouring directly into teacups.
7. You have chai!